United Dairymen of Idaho support Idaho schools with nutrition support
BOISE, Idaho – (September 24, 2013) – Idaho students have an extra serving of learning, calcium and other essentials thanks to the generosity of Idaho’s dairy farm families. Through a variety of grants, scholarships and product donations, the United Dairymen of Idaho (UDI) work hard every year to ensure each Idaho student has access to both nutrition curriculum and nutritious dairy products.
Karianne Fallow, CEO of the United Dairymen of Idaho, says the school programs are important for students and their parents to establish healthy habits that can last a lifetime. “Idaho dairy families are committed to ensuring that kids have the proper nutrition information and products to grow both physically and mentally.” She continued, “Experts recommend three servings of dairy per day and we believe that school nutrition programs play an integral role in developing lifelong healthy consumption patterns.”
UDI supports many educational and health-focused programs, which include:
- ISAT Testing: In participating schools UDI provides string cheese for each student for every day of testing
- Refuel With Chocolate Milk: UDI provides participating athletic programs with milk coolers and chocolate milk for athletes. Participating schools include Bishop Kelly High School, New Plymouth High School, Borah High School and Bonneville High School
- Idaho High School Activities Association (IHSAA): UDI supports IHSAA through providing scholarships and products for both participants and spectators
- School Curriculum: UDI provides nutrition curriculum for Idaho schools at no cost
- Fuel Up to Play 60: UDI empowers students to take charge in making small, everyday changes at school through this program, founded by the National Dairy Council, Idaho Dairy Council and the National Football League (NFL)
Beyond the above programs, UDI supports a wide range of school initiatives that amounted to more than $1.5 million in 2012. Idaho’s dairy farm families continue to give back to Idaho students and educators each year through these types of programs.
About United Dairymen of Idaho
The United Dairymen of Idaho (UDI) protects and promotes the Idaho dairy industry and dairy farm families through outreach, nutrition counseling and partnerships with consumers, dairy processors, retail outlets and farmers and their families. UDI is the parent organization of both the Idaho Dairy Council and the Idaho Dairymen’s Association. Visit UDI’s website, Facebook page and Twitter feed for updates and additional information.
About the Idaho Dairy Council
The Idaho Dairy Council (IDC) provides nutrition education to the entire state of Idaho as a non-profit organization supported by the United Dairymen of Idaho. The Council provides free, science-based nutrition resources to educators, students, health professionals and the public via curriculum, materials, funding, and nutrition instruction.
Contact: Cheri Chase, Senior Director of Consumer Confidence